The lake water conservation cum rain water harvesting has been taking place in all the (3) tanks in the Suryapet town namely Saddalcheruvu, Pullareddy Tank, Nalla Cheruvu. Bund was developed around two tanks out of three tanks. Sullage water of town was diverted from lake water. Sullage Treatment Plant would be constructed on the bank of Nalla Cheruvu. Due to this contamination of lake water is minimal and Ground water is also increased. Tree plantation near the tanks is also taken up to decrease the evaporation.
Tree plantation has been also taken up in the catchments areas of saddal cheruvu and pullareddy tank. It has increased the rains in those areas. Earlier, these tanks use to be filled with the musi river water. Presently, with out feeding, the tanks are filled with water.Last year block plantation was taken up in edga.The father of Loyola college was taken interest in plantation.This year plantation has been taken up in Loyola college by planting about 1300 plants in the available open place. 300 plants are planted in sneha nilayam.The rain recorded much in this areas.2000 teak plants are arranged to aravindaksha college for planting in the available open space, which is also in catchments area.
Total benefits accrued:
1) Level of ground water table was increased in town.
2) Water level in surrounding bore well was also increased.
3) Greenery around tanks and in the town was increased.
4) Contamination of water was minimized.
5) Fauna also increased around the lakes.It stimulated the bio-diversity.
Outputs and outcomes:
1) The encroachments in the lakes are arrested.
2) It protected the overall environment.
3) Bund constructed around the tanks is using as a bypass road from National High way to town. Because of this traffic on National High way is minimized.
4) Municipality wants to develop greenery around bund. Because of this it will become mini tank bund of Suryapet.