Athi sarvathra varjeyath is the vedic word, which means not to do the activity or consumption frequently. Doing something frequently causes boredom and loss of interest. This article of Athi sarvathra Varjeyath is written in the context of the bird flu disease caused by virus in the Birds , especially in hens and cocks.
Here i want to discuss the methods evolved in rearing the Birds and its immunity. Also, the methods of consumption of chicken based meet and ways to control them.
In olden days, hens and cocks ( Henceforth Birds) were reared locally and sale or purchase of Birds was a rare activity. The Birds were moving in the backyard of the house and Birds sometimes go out also to earn its food. Over a period of time, some people started selling and purchasing Birds. But, this activity was in small scale and use to carried out directly or in fairs or weekly markets.
In 19 80s, small scale farms were established for rearing the Birds. There were some space for Birds to move in the farms. The feed was given to Birds by rearing persons. The contagious diseases to the Birds were rare.
In late 19 90s , Large scale Bird’s farms were established. The space for the Birds have drastically reduced. The feed used to be given excessively to the Birds. In sanitary conditions use to prevail in the Bird’s farms. These things have caused the frequent contagious diseases and use of vaccines and medicines. Bird flu is one of such diseases. But, it is deterring the human beings and their food security.
Evolution of Consumption of meat :
In olden days, meat used to be consumed only during the festivals and temple festivals. It is allowed at the time of arrival of guests. There use to be curry and gravy. Much varieties were also not available, except in a few rich houses. Some hunting families and dead animals eaters used to consume non vegetarian regularly. Some people went to an extent by storing meat as pickle and dried pieces.
After liberalisation in 1991, many changes have occurred in the consumption of non vegetarian food. Many big shops have been opened. Cooked food is also available in large varieties. Kababs, leg pieces, manchuria, puffs are some of such varieties. KFC, McDonald’s revolutionised the sale market of non vegetarian food. People started eating the non vegetarian food on regular intervals. Some people started eating in different non vegetarian food varieties on almost every day. Most of functions are served with the non vegetarian food with the fear of blame from relatives. The attendance of the people is low, where vegetarian food is served. Thus, people are forced to serve non vegetarian food during the marriages and functions. But, optimum number of people still follows the weekly 2 days holiday on the name of God. The boon in disguise is that people learning yoga , swadyaya follwers and some other people left the non vegetarian food either temporarily or permenently.
How to decrease the non veg consumption :
1. The consumption of non vegetarian food during the marriages and functions has to be banned by all castes and religions.
2. The holidays for slaughtering has to be strictly implemented. Even selling and consumption of non vegetarian food has to be strictly prohibited on those days. It is pertinent to mention that Jahangir, the Mughal king also banned consumption of non vegetarian food , twice in a week.
3. The vegetarian propogation organisations should expedite the work. It is to remind that Buddhism and Jainism have protected the cattle population, when there was crisis in 6th century B.C. Similar conditions are existing now.
4. The illegal trafficking of animals and birds should be prohibited.
5. Wide publicity should be give on the advantages of vegetarian food and losses of non vegetarian food to the environment.
6. The Self control measures like sravana masa, weekly holidays shall be reinvented to motivate vegetarianism.