Municipal council has taken decision to minimize the usage of plastic. The following ways are adopted for the same.
Incentives: The kirana and merchant association was asked to give incentive of 1/- to 5/- basing on the material purchased, when carry in a bag. It also saves a lot amount on purchase of plastic carry bags to shop owner. Similarly, chicken and mutton shop owners are requested to extend incentive of 2/- on purchase of meat. The hotel owners are requested to give incentive of 2/- on each plate of tiffin , when consumers carry it in a box. All of them have implemented as it saves environment in addition to valuable money to them.
IEC: The disadvantages are widely informed, communicated and educated the ill affects. posters are prepared and displayed in all the important places. Meetings are convened with all important sections of the town. They are as follows:
- o Excessive use of plastic would cause cancers and neuro problems.
- o Human beings do not have capacity to digest the plastic. Consumption of it would cause stomach-ache.
- o It would stagnates water and caused the floods in cities like viziawada and Mumbai. Also create the mosquito breeding centres, especially aedis egypty, which cause dengue, chikun gunya in water filled in the plastic.
- o It causes the decrement in the sperm count and ovary count , which causes the infertility.
- o The carcinogenic gases emanated out of burning the plastic would cause the unwanted hair in women and cause many other health ailments.
- o It would pollute the water bodies and cause death of aquatic animals.
- o It does not allow the water to percolate in to earth.
- o It decrease the fertility of the soil, there by become problem for food security.
- o It is causing the death of valuable animals.
- i t also causes death of trees and plands,when the rootes goes on to the plastic.
The paper, jute, glass and metals are the alternatives. The same is provided to the people. Some people are trained to prepare the paper bags. Slowly some people started using the paper bags.
o The non-woven cloth bags and cloth bags are given at some places at free of cost. At later stages they are distributed at low cost.
o Tea Hotels were asked to use only paper glasses instead of plastic tea cups. They accepted and the usage is continuing.
o Sai baba temple was motivated to distribute its prasadam in the paper. They accepted and the usage is continuing. Similarly, venkateshwara temple was motivated by a N.G.O. to use alternate material.
o Function hall were motivated to use paper glasses and reusable plates.
Fines: Most of the people listened to the requests of the staff of suryapet Municipality. When they did not listen, municipality has fined them in regular intervals.