In the recent past I spoke to a police officer about chain snatching. It is causing turmoil both to women and police. A few times women are seriously injured . The weak and absent minded women are their targets.
The reasons for chain snatching is as follows:
1. Robberies, House breaking are risky . Whereas chain snatching activity is easy.
2. The sufferers are physically weak women.
3. Snatchers are mostly from educated class , who are habituated to easy money .
4. The Indian traditional systems make it mandatory to wear the mangala sutra made up of Gold. Many women wear the gold chains as status symbols.
1. Women should wear the gold ornaments in a way those are not visible whilst walking on the road. They should cover ornaments with saree, chunny or scarf.
2. Women should be alert and observe other people, while walking on the road.
3. Women should quickly respond and alert the other neighbouring people, when her chain is snatched.
4. Students and employees should learn the a few self defence methods to protect themselves in above conditions.
5. People should walk on the pavements meant for them. It prevents snatching.
6. People should use the public transport system to prevent snatching, instead of riding bikes.
II. Official care:
1. Stringent action should be taken on the chain snatchers. Separate Act shall be formulated to deal with it.
2. The number of c.c cameras should be arranged in all the circles/cross roads and on roads.
3. Preventing Groups and peoples teams should be formed to respond quickly, if situation arises.
4. Patrolling should be taken up regularly. Also , question the doubtful persons frequently.
5. Pavements should be constructed on all the roads for pedestrians.
III. Community care:
1. They should be formed into Group to face any such incidents. In case of any shouting about snatchers, react immediately to catch them.
2. People who can afford should donate for c.c cameras.