Eco-san toilets are the toilets where the human excreta is treated with the earth worms making it manure.
The concept of this kind of the toilets is propogated by Sri. Dharma Rao garu, on the name of the Vivekananda seva samithi organisation.He was a chief engineer of irrigation department and is now retired, but not tired. He designed this model of toilets with low cost. This model is approved by Institute of innovative practices.
District Collector, Mahabubnagar has addressed a letter to all the ULBs to send remarks on the eco-san toilets.
Consequently, I made a call to Dharma Rao garu. Almost a week after he visited the Nirmithi kendra at Mahabubnagar. I have also visited one eco-san toilet along with my A.Es at chinna jiyar swamy Ashram, shamshabad, just near to temple .
My observations are as follows :
1. The cost of the construction was reduced by prefabricated materials.
2. There is no need of digging pits.The stilt like super structure is created.
3. The human excreta is taken care by the earth worms introduced in to the toilet pit.
4. Stilt structure was closed with the cement pans. Vent pipe is also arranged, both for avoiding foul smell.
5. Human excreta was taken out by us. Astonishingly, i could not find any foul smell.
6. The toilet is constructed in very less space.
1. It can expedite the construction of toilets under Swatch Telangana initiative.
2. Huge public money can be saved. It is estimated that on construction of 1000 eco-san toilets, 50,00,000 Rupees can be saved.
3. Environment is protected by manufacturing manure out of excreta. This has greater advantage in Rural area. Also, methane and other Green House Gases emissions would be reduced.
4. Water is percolated in to the ground, ensuring the ground water table.
5. Mosquitoes menace would be minimised, as there is no water
availability in toilet pit.
6. The construction of toilets can be done in more households, as construction space is reduced.
7. Monitoring burden of toilets by officials would be reduced. They can concentrate on other works.
8. Manipulation in construction would be eliminated, as it is a unique model.
9. Urine can be also utilised for other utilitarian purposes.
10. It reduce the burden of construction of the huge STPs in cities.
11. It reduce the burden of recurring expenditure on septage management for individuals.
Problems anticipated & solutions :
1. People should accept this new model of eco-san toilet. Awareness programmes will sort the issues. Field visits to constructed places or videos of earlier benificiaries would play vital role in obtaining acceptance.
2. Earth worms should be safe for sustainability of this model.Hence, people should not use chemicals for cleansing the toilets. People should be educated in this regard. Municipality should also do the captive breeding of earth worms to supply people, in the event of death of earth worms. Captive breeding of local earth worms can be done in dung, preferably cow dung.
I request to reveal your opinion on this toilet